Give Your Old Clothes A New Life
Four earth-friendly ways to recycle your old clothing.
As you're spring cleaning your closet maybe you realize those ultra-low rise jeans weren't such a good idea. As the stack of what-was-I-thinking clothes piles up, what next? With the approach of Earth Day, think about more eco-friendly ways to dispose of your clothing. Rather than throwing ratty t-shirts or jeans in the trash donate them to one of these green initiatives.
Bring your gently used clothing items to Eileen Fisher to support their Green Eileen initiative.
What then? The clothes are then sold at Green Eileen stores. All profits from recycled clothing support programs for women and girls.
Go on. Customers will receive $5 in Recycling Rewards for each donated item. Recycling Rewards can be spent at EILEEN FISHER retail stores, Company Stores or at eileenfisher.com.
H&M is the first fashion company to launch a global recycling initiative. Garment Collecting was developed to reduce waste and decrease the use of raw materials to produce new textiles. With this program you can bring all types of garments in any condition to H&M.
What happens next? Garments are separated into three groups:
- Rewear – clothing that can be worn again is sold as second-hand goods worldwide
- Reuse – textiles that are no longer suitable to wear are converted into other products, such as cleaning cloths
- Recycle – textiles that can’t be reused can be turned into textile fibers or used to manufacture products such as insulating materials for the auto industry
Where do the profits go? Revenue from the Garment Collecting program is invested in technology for recycling processes in textiles and social projects.
For the outdoorsy types Patagonia invites you to take the pledge with their In The Common Threads Partnership.
Tell me more. The program consists of different ways to reduce your environmental footprint.
- Reduce - Patagonia strives for the best quality so items last a long time. See their online guide for proper cleaning and care to help preserve your gear.
- Repair - Don’t throw it out, send your items to Patagonia for repair, turnaround time is 10 days.
I’m an animal, it's beyond repair. Then Recycle - bring your worn out Patagonia clothing and they will reuse it or recycle it into a new product.
Blue Jeans Go Green takes old denim and recycles it into UltraTouch TM Denim Insulation.
Say what? They call the process From Blue to Green. Your old denim is converted into sheets of cotton fiber. It’s then treated for fire retardancy and mold resistance and used for commercial and residential insulation all around the U.S. The program started in 2006 and has gained major support from nationwide retailers, as well as many celebrity endorsements, events and fundraisers. In 2013 nearly 250,000 sq ft of insulation was distributed to Habitat for Humanity affiliates nationwide.
I’m in, what do I do? Mail your old denim to Blue Jeans Go Green.