Volunteer Opportunities in Fairfield County
5 local non-profits and how to help
(page 3 of 5)
3. CT Food Bank
Cause: To provide nutritious food to people in need.
Available Volunteer Opportunities
Working at the East Haven warehouse sorting food. Appointment required from one of the following:
- Mondays: 9:00-noon, 1:00-3:00
- Tuesdays: 1:00-3:00, 4:00-5:30, 6:00-7:30
- Wednesdays: 9:00-noon, 1:00-3:00, 4:00-5:30, 6:00-7:30
- Thursdays: 9:00-noon, 1:00-3:00
- Fridays: 9:00-noon, 1:00-3:00
- Some Saturdays available for large groups (15-20 people)
Thanksgiving Food Drives
November 23, 8:30am — 1pm: Yale Bowl at Yale football stadium, New Haven. (Adults only)
How to Sign Up
Warehouse volunteers can sign-up right up to 1 hour before start of a shift as long as space is available. For food drives and the Yale Bowl, check the website for sign-up announcements
Who Qualifies to Volunteer
- Warehouse volunteers: ages 13 — 15 may volunteer with a parent,16 years and over can volunteer on their own; does involve lifting and standing and may not be appropriate for seniors or those with leg or back problems.
- Food drives: generally ages 8 — 14 years may volunteer with a parent, 15 and up volunteer on their own.
- Yale Bowl: college age or older (because of the tailgate party atmosphere).
The organization is in need of food donations, especially frozen turkeys, and they are welcome effective immediately. The Food Bank can also set people and organizations up for virtual food drives.
The Volunteer Process
One-time volunteers are accepted for food drives and other events, but not for the Warehouse.
Contact Kim Damien, Volunteer Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 203-469-5000
Address and Hours
CT Food Bank Main Office
150 Bradley Street
East Haven, CT
Office Hours are Monday — Friday, 8:30am — 4:30pm