Volunteer Opportunities in Fairfield County
5 local non-profits and how to help
Volunteers teaching English as a Second Language to recent immigrants
Courtesy of Neighbors Link Stamford
(page 1 of 5)
Cause: To make free enterprise work for everyone.
Available Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteers can conduct a food drive to stock the pantry shelves and deliver to the Food Pantry located at 636 Old Post Road in Fairfield
- Sponsor a “Thanksgiving basket and turkey” for our neighbors who might otherwise go without. Deliver to our Food Pantry by November 21st
- Prepare a Thanksgiving Day meal item for our Community Thanksgiving Meal and deliver to the Community Kitchen located at 50 Nichols Street in Fairfield by November 28th
- “Make a Meal” throughout the holiday season to be served to our hungry neighbors at the Community Kitchen
- Sponsor an individual or family for the “Hope for the Holidays” gift giving program, now through December 9th.
- Volunteer to assist with the onsite receiving and organizing gifts during the “Hope for the Holidays” program.
- Sponsor a Food Drive for the December holidays and deliver to the Food Pantry.
- People are hungry throughout the month of December, not just on the holidays! Call and sponsor a meal or portion of a meal to be served at the Community Kitchen.
How to Sign Up
Volunteers must sign up on the web site in advance with their interests. Once a volunteer is registered on the web site and interviewed, volunteers will be assigned to volunteer opportunities that are available, such as making meals for and serving in the Community Kitchen, Food Pantry, and other opportunities.
Who Qualifies to Volunteer
In general, all members of the community are invited to volunteer: adults, young adults (16 and older for certain projects), community groups, families, and children with supervision. Please visit the website for more information.
Operation Hope is always in need of food, toiletries and other supplies for the Pantry. Suggestions for donation items include:
- Canned spaghetti
- Canned meats and stews
- Canned fruit
- Peanut butter
- Pasta Sauce
- Salad Dressing
- Cold Cereal
- Instant hot cereals
- Muffin/Bread Mixes
Donations can be received any day during our office hours at the 636 Old Post Road in Fairfield above. Individuals, families, clubs, organizations and other groups can contact us to arrange food drives and other campaigns. Operation Hope can help with planning, organizing and picking up items for the Pantry. Food drives are an excellent way for organizations to contribute to their community, through the generosity and good will of their members or employees.
In addition, there is an ongoing need to provide prepared meals for the Community Kitchen, for lunch and dinner, 365 days a year. The organization works with various groups throughout the area to schedule meal drop off, but are always looking for new and additional volunteers. This is a wonderful way to help. Please check the website or call for more information.
The Volunteer Process
Opportunities are limitless. The organization works hard to match a volunteer’s passion and interest to the needs of the organization. A Volunteer Coordinator meets with each potential volunteer to understand their interests and abilities. Through this process we are able to manage most volunteer needs and match them to the needs of the organization.
Address and Hours
Operation Hope of Fairfield, Inc.
636 Old Post Road
The administrative office is open from 9AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday.