Connecticut Opens its Doors
Eighth Annual Open House Day
Photograph by: Shannon Calvert
On Saturday, June 9th, Connecticut residents are invited to come out and experience more than 180 distinctive arts, history and tourism attractions and destinations as part of the annual Connecticut Open House Day celebration. Across the state, residents can enjoy special incentives, including discounted or free admission, free gifts and/or special exhibits and activities.
Open House Day provides an opportunity for residents to take part in the state’s new brand campaign, “still revolutionary” and is the perfect time to experience or rediscover Connecticut. Bring a friend, family member or neighbor and explore the hidden gems, local attractions, historic destinations and cultural institutions that can be found in all corners of the state.
Local Fairfield county Open House Day activities range from the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport providing free admission to the first 100 visitors, to A Common Ground – Community Art Center in Danbury offering free dance, music, fitness and martial art classes, to Ogden House in Fairfield where residents can enjoy free admission from noon until 4 p.m.
Activities in Fairfield County include:
- A Common Ground – Community Art Center, Danbury – From 8:30 a.m. until 8 p.m., visitors are offered free dance, music, fitness and martial art classes.
- Art & Frame of Danbury LLC, Danbury – Open gallery show “Wi!LD,” featuring original mixed media paintings by Nancy Moore, pottery by Marcia Taylor, wood turning by Chris Cushman, custom framing demonstrations and raffle prizes. Open from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Bellarmine Museum of Art, Fairfield – Free family day with drop-in crafts for kids (1 p.m. - 4 p.m.), story time in the gallery and special tours for families. Open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Bruce Museum, Greenwich – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Bush-Holley Historic Site, Greenwich – Free admission from noon until 4 p.m.
- Connecticut Audubon Society Center, Fairfield – Open from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. offering complimentary coffee tasting and children’s crafts.
- Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo, Bridgeport – Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- David Boyajian Sculpture Studio, New Fairfield – Studio open and free to the public from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. with bronze casting demonstrations.
- Danbury Railway Museum, Danbury – From 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., receive a complimentary train ride with a paid admission when you bring in the local Open House Day brochure, or an advertisement of the event.
- Gallery at Still River Editions, Danbury – From 10 a.m.-5 p.m., view the exhibit “Intellectual Property: New Work by Gene Gort.” Participate in “Faces of Danbury” with photographer Catherine Vanaria, taking free portraits and receive an 8x10 print.
- Gallery 84, Danbury – Open from noon until 6 p.m. and offering complimentary refreshments.
- Hilton Garden Inn, Norwalk – Guests receive 10 percent off best available rate by mentioning Open House Day. Reservations can be made in advance, or on day of arrival.
- Maritime Aquarium, Norwalk – From 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., receive $2 off the Aquarium’s Adventure Pass; admission to the Aquarium and IMAX movie.
- River Road Gallery, Wilton – From 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., visit “Impressions of Weir Farm” by Ron Landis art show opening and enjoy complimentary refreshments.
- Stamford Museum & Nature Center, Stamford – Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Shelton History Center, Shelton – Free admission from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sherman Historical Society, Sherman – Free guided tours from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m., with art exhibit opening “Sentinel Houses,” and lemonade and cookies served in the dining room.
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children, Norwalk – Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Wilton Historical Society, Wilton - Free admission from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- YMCA ESCAPE to the Arts, Danbury – From noon until 4 p.m., view exhibition of artwork by ESCAPE staff and help design a square for a community art project. Drawing painting, collage and mixed media materials are provided. All ages welcome.
Connecticut Open House Day offerings and hours of operation vary by property.
Visit www.CTvisit.com for a complete list of participating venues updated daily.