Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
Slow-Braised Short Ribs of Angus Beef with Black Currant-Balsamic Sauce
|# of Servings:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed juniper berries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 quarts veal stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 quart balsamic vinegar
- 1 quart crème de cassis (black currant syrup)
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, juniper berries and cloves in a bowl.
- Dredge ribs in seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a large pot and brown ribs well on all sides.
- Pour in 3 cups veal stock and bring to a boil.
- Add onion, carrots, tomato paste and garlic.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add remaining veal stock.
- Heat balsamic vinegar with crème de cassis in a medium pan, simmer
to reduce volume by half and set aside.
- Remove meat from pot and sieve cooking broth. Add balsamic sauce, return
meat and continue to simmer for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve meat thinly sliced and smothered with sauce, accompanied by steamed
baby vegetables and roasted Peruvian potatoes.