Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
|# of Servings:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mashed potatoes (10 Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked, mashed and mixed with milk
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepot.
- Add flour, and cook until golden in color.
- Add milk and bay leaves, and cook until thickened, about forty-five minutes,
stirring constantly. Reserve this bechamel sauce.
- In another heavy-bottomed saucepot, heat olive oil; add celery, carrots
and onion, and cook until vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized.
- Stir in tomato paste, and cook until vegetables are fully caramelized.
- Add lamb, and cook until the meat loses it raw appearance, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and thyme.
- Cook on medium heat until all moisture is below level of lamb, about forty-five
- Skim off any excess fat with a ladle.
- Stir in bechamel sauce and peas, season to taste and cook another twenty
minutes to marry all flavors.
- Divide lamb mixture among four ovenproof dishes and top with a layer of
- Bake until potatoes are crisped and golden.