The vegetables for this salad are finely slivered, which is easy to do with a food processor or, even better, by hand with a good sharp knife, a cook's most useful tool!
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Spread the sesame seeds on a plate and dredge the chicken in them to coat
- In a bowl, toss together the green onions, bell peppers, carrots, bean sprouts,
cucumbers and red onion.
- In a large skillet, heat three tablespoons of the peanut oil over medium-high
- Add the chicken, in batches if necessary. Cook the chicken, turning once,
until it is just cooked through and a rich golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate (some sesame seeds will remain in the skillet).
Cut the chicken into strips.
- Add the remaining peanut oil and the one tablespoon of sesame oil to the
- Cook the ginger and garlic, stirring, for one minute.
- Stir in the vinegar, bring to a boil, add the vegetables and toss just to
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on four plates.
- Mound the vegetables into the lettuce, then add the chicken. Drizzle with
any vinaigrette remaining in the skillet.