- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 large red pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 large green pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and cut into large dice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or clam juice
- 2 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 large ear of corn, shucked and cooked slightly
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 large shelled shrimp, each sliced into four pieces
- 6 large scallops, each sliced into four pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Tortilla chips for garnish (recipe follows for homemade chips)
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 1 flour or corn tortilla
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large pot over a low flame.
- Add onion and peppers and sweat until onion is almost translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until onion is completely translucent.
- Increase heat to medium; add tomatoes and cook for about five minutes.
- Add chicken stock or clam juice, ketchup, chili sauce and hot sauce. Bring
mixture to a boil, stirring ingredients well.
- Decrease heat to low and add the rest of the ingredients except those used
- Cook for about fifteen minutes. (Mixture can be cooled and refrigerated
for up to three days. Bring to room temperature and heat over low flame before
proceeding with remainder of recipe.)
- To finish: Heat one tablespoon of oil in a sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the shrimp and scallops to the hot pan and saute for about one minute
or until the shrimp are almost opaque.
- Pour off any extra oil and juices and add the reserved chili mixture.
- Cook for about two to three minutes, but be careful not to overcook the
- Divide among six ovenproof ramekins and top each with shredded Monterey
- Place under a broiler until cheese melts. Garnish with tortilla chips.
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Cut the tortilla into any shape you want.
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottom and high-walled saucepan to about 365 degrees.
- Add the tortilla chips to the oil, cook, and stir, until they are light
brown. Drain on paper towels and toss in a bowl with seasoned salt.