- 2 organic Cornish hens, cleaned, partially deboned and cut in half
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound luganega sausage, divided into four portions, each curled in a spiral
and secured with a skewer
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 2 plum tomatoes, crushed with a fork
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 leaves basil, torn
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Fresh rosemary for garnish
- Place Cornish hens in a large bowl.
- Cover with rosemary, thyme, shallots, whole garlic cloves, lemon slices,
balsamic vinegar, one cup olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a hot saute pan, heat a bit of oil and sear the hens, about two minutes
on each side.
- Add the luganega sausage and place in oven for about twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the peperonata. In a saute pan over medium heat, warm
two tablespoons olive oil.
- Add one smashed clove of garlic and the anchovy; when the garlic is golden,
add the onion and the peppers.
- Lower the heat, and add the crushed tomatoes and the capers.
- Cook for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Stir in the basil.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, heat four tablespoons olive oil; add the
broccoli rabe and one clove sliced garlic and cook until al dente.
- Divide peperonata among four plates.
- Place broccoli rabe to one side of peperonata and place half a Cornish hen
in the center of plate and top with a spiral of sausage.
- Garnish with rosemary.