Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
Grilled Black Mission Figs with Mascarpone Foam and Sliced Prosciutto
||The Cantering Caterer, Christian O'Dowd
|# of Servings:
- 6 fresh, ripe Black Mission figs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 12 thin slices of prosciutto
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Slice figs in half from top to bottom.
- Melt butter over medium heat and dip each fig half into it, covering them
- Pour sugar in saucer and dredge figs in it to coat. Place figs in oiled
oven pan and grill on medium heat, 2 minutes or so per side (just enough to
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside in the refrigerator until ready
- Whisk mascarpone and cream in a medium-sized bowl until they are well blended
and start to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper. (Makes about 1.25 cups, but you won’t need all
- Spread 3 or 4 slices of prosciutto on each plate and place one half fig,
skin side down, in center of each slice.
- Cover figs with dollop of mascarpone sauce and wrap prosciutto around them.
- Sprinkle with cilantro (for fresh taste as well as pleasant color contrast).
Timing and Tips: Prepare a couple of hours ahead and keep
refrigerated; remove from refrigerator about half an hour before serving. (If
figs are hard to find, try fresh apricots instead, and remember to remove the