Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
Fiesta Flank Steak
||Aux Delices Gourmet Food
|# of Servings:
- 2 pounds beef flank steak
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 yellow squash
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1/2 pound spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the flank steak in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, shallots and half a cup of the
- Drizzle the oil mixture over the steak, cover with plastic wrap and place
the dish in the refrigerator.
- Allow the meat to marinate for at least six hours, turning it over once.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini, squash and eggplant.
- Cut off the peel along with a half inch of flesh.
- Cut the peel pieces into quarter-inch slices and then into small dice.
- In a medium saute pan, heat one tablespoon of the oil and saute the spinach
over medium heat until wilted, about two minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature, then chop spinach roughly and place in a medium
- In the same pan, heat one tablespoon of the oil and cook the carrots for
two to three minutes over medium heat, until just tender.
- Place the carrots in a bowl with the spinach.
- Reheat the pan to medium hot with one tablespoon of the oil and add the
zucchini and squash, cooking until tender, about three minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of vegetables.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil to hot and add the eggplant, cooking
until tender, three to four minutes.
- Add to the bowl of vegetables.
- Toss together and season with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain marinated meat, place it on a cutting board and lay a sheet of plastic
wrap over it.
- Using a mallet, pound the steak on both sides until it is about a quarter
to a half inch thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place two cups of the vegetables down the center of the meat (use any remaining
vegetables in a salad).
- Roll the meat lengthwise and tie with kitchen string about every two inches.
- Place the stuffed steak in a baking dish and roast it for about sixteen
minutes for medium rare.
- Remove from the oven to a cutting board and allow the meat to rest for
ten minutes before slicing.
- Cut the meat in thick slices and arrange on a platter to bring to the picnic.