- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Discard fat from chest and belly of duck and rinse duck.
- Pat duck dry.
- Position rack in middle of oven and place duck on a rack and roast for one
- Remove from oven and stand duck on its tail to drain fat from cavity.
- Let cool completely.
- Return duck to oven for twenty minutes to crisp.
- Let rest fifteen minutes.
- Cut duck in half.
- Heat a small, heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add the sugar and cook until it starts to melt and turns a light caramel
- Add orange and lemon juices and veal stock and simmer over low heat for
a few minutes until reduced and slightly thick.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring four cups of water to a boil and add
- Simmer for forty-five minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Rinse under cold water.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add rice and season to taste.
- Add a dash of Madeira.
- Divide wild rice between two plates and top each serving with a duck half.
- Decorate duck with orange slices, Mandarin orange segments and cherries.
- Serve warm.