Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
Crushed Raspberry-Marscapone Whip
||Desserts 4 Today, by Abigail Johnson Dodge
- 1 1⁄2 pints raspberries (18 ounces), rinsed and dried
- 1⁄2 cup divided granulated sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Have ready 4 small serving bowls or wineglasses and make room in the fridge.
- Set aside about 12 raspberries for garnish.
- Put the remaining berries and 1⁄4 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl and lightly crush with a rubber spatula. Set aside.
- Put the mascarpone, heavy cream, and remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar in a medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until medium-firm peaks form when the beaters are lifted (don’t forget to stop the mixer before lifting!).
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the cream into the serving bowls or glasses.
- Top with about 1⁄4 cup of the crushed berries.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons cream over the berries.
- Repeat layering with the remaining berries and cream.
- You’ll have a total of 3 layers of cream and 2 layers of raspberries not including the garnish.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 1 day.
- Serve chilled with the remaining whole raspberries on top.
In place of the raspberries, switch in one of the following:
- blackberries, 1 1⁄2 pints (18 ounces)
- blueberries, 1 1⁄2 pints (18 ounces)
- medium, ripe peaches, 3, pitted and chopped
Gussy It Up
Fold 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon basil into the whipped cream before layering it with the fruit. Garnish with the reserved berries and small sprigs
of lemon basil.