Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
Cacciucco -- Cantina Sforza's Traditional Fish Stew
|# of Servings:
- 8 ounces fresh fish (mullet, salmon, red snapper or monkfish), cut into
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 ounces plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 4 medium-sized Calamari, tubes only, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 sea scallops
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 20 cockles, well rinsed
- Cover fish with water and simmer until done.
- Strain broth and reserve.
- Warm half the oil over medium heat and stir in tomatoes, basil, salt and
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Warm the remaining oil in a deep pot over medium heat and saute onion, garlic
and parsley for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add calamari, shrimp and scallops, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce liquid to half.
- Add cockles and simmer for a few minutes until shells have opened.
- Pour in tomatoes, gently fold in cooked fish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add some Fish broth if more liquid is needed.
- Serve in wide bowls with garlic bread.