Dining In: Local Restaurant Recipes
« Back to the list
Butternut Squash Soup
|# of Servings:
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 star anise pods
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine squash, onion, star anise and honey in a roasting pan.
- Roast until squash becomes soft and pale golden (stirring once halfway through
cooking), about thirty minutes.
- Spoon mixture into a small stockpot.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon juice, chicken stock and brown sugar; bring to
- Add the cream and nutmeg; return to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and working in batches, puree soup in blender.
- Be sure to remove the center cap from the top of the blender so you do
not get burned.
- Return mixture to stockpot and cook over low heat until reduced to desired
- Season with salt and pepper.