- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim and rinse the beet in cold water.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Wrap in foil, place in a baking dish and bake until the beet is easily pierced with the tip of a knife; about 1 hour.
- Let cool, then finely dice. (This can be done a few days in advance. Leave the beet whole in its foil and refrigerate.)
- Place walnuts in a pan and roast for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant.
- Let cool, then finely chop.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon shallots, sherry vinegar, and half the chives in a food processor to prepare vinaigrette.
- While pulsing, slowly drizzle 1/4 cup of the olive oil to make an emulsion (the consistency should be creamy and the vinegar fully suspended in the oil).
- Salt to taste.
- Cut baguette into 1/4-inch slices.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Broil for 2 to 4 minutes on each side until toasted brown.
- Peel and cut the garlic cloves in half; rub each side of the bread with the cut cloves.
- Mix goat cheese with cream until smooth, then add 1/2 tablespoon of the chives.
- Mix chopped beets with 1/2 tablespoon
of remaining chives and shallots with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Spread goat cheese on toasted baguette slices and top with beet mixture, chives, and finely chopped nuts.