- 2 cups fresh coconut, shredded
- 11/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 slices fresh ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 stems lemon grass, chopped
- 1/2 pound shallots, chopped
- 1 1/2 inches fresh turmeric root, peeled and sliced
- 5 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 2/3 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro for garnish
- Roast coconut in oven at 300 degrees until golden brown.
- Remove to cool.
- Place beef in bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir to coat meat
and set aside for one half hour.
- Grind ginger, garlic, lemon grass, shallots, turmeric root and chili paste
with one teaspoon salt in small food processor.
- Stir-fry ground paste in oil on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin, fennel and nutmeg and stir for 3 more minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk and bring to gentle boil.
- Add marinated beef pieces and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining seasonings plus water and simmer for 1 hour, stirring regularly
to prevent meat from sticking to the bottom.
- After half an hour of simmering, add roasted coconut and let thicken.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with rice.