- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, salt and water.
- Fold in the butter.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for one hour.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk, heavy cream and vanilla bean to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl, whip together sugar, eggs and cornstarch.
- Temper the egg mixture with a few tablespoons of the hot milk mixture,
then add the remaining hot milk mixture, constantly stirring.
- Add the butter and mix until pastry cream is smooth.
- Dust the chilled dough with flour and roll it about a quarter inch thick.
- Then cut eight circles from the dough and place them on a buttered baking
- Perforate the dough with a fork and spread a thin, even layer of pastry
cream over each disk within a half-inch of the edge.
- Top evenly with apples. Add cinnamon to melted butter and brush mixture
on top of apples.
- Bake for about twenty minutes.
- Melt apricot jam in warm water and reduce until thick.
- Brush tart with apricot glaze.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprig of mint.