O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
‘Tis the season to cut down your own Christmas tree at one of these nearby farms.
photograph courtesy of Amber Schiavi
Thanksgiving marks a time for family, festivities and of course food, food and more food. Now that this holiday has once again come and gone (leftovers don’t count), the Christmas frenzy has officially begun. Before you jump on spending your weekends shopping for a sweater for Aunt Sue mix up your Christmas traditions this year by heading to a Christmas tree farm. Pile the whole family in the car and bear the cold weather (with cups of hot cocoa) to go tag the perfect tree to bring home and decorate.
No matter which corner of Connecticut you hail from, there are plenty of options for cutting down your own tree. The Connecticut Christmas Tree Growers Association has compiled a list of the top farms nearby Fairfield County to visit for the day. With so many options to choose from, how can you determine which farm is the best for your family?
The answer resonates in whether you want to make a full day’s trip and visit one of the bigger farms where Santa and his reindeer frequently visit (from the North pole of course) or simply go to a nearby nursery take yours home for the season. Once you decided what type of farm to visit it is important to always call ahead to confirm they will be open when you are visiting and have a plethora of trees to pick from!
- Audubon Society H. Smith Richardson Tree Farm- Sasco Creek Road, Westport, CT 06880. Phone: 203-623-0646.
- Bob's Tree Farm - 66-68 Turkey Plain Road, Rt. 53, Bethel, CT 06801. Phone: 203-241-3450.
- Caesar's Nursery & Christmas Tree Farm- 883 Federal Road - Rt. 7, Brookfield, CT 06804. Phone: 203-775-2944.
- Everett's Corner Tree Farm - 136 Sherwood Road, Easton, CT 06612. Phone: 203-268-2508.
- Fairview Tree Farm - 486 Walnut Tree Hill Road, Shelton, CT 06484. Phone: 203-944-9090.
- Four Corners Farm-55 Hattertown Road, Newtown, CT 06470. Phone: 203-426-5532
- Gordon's Tree Farm - 488 Sport Hill Road, Easton, CT 06612. Phone: 203-261-Tree.
- Jones Family Farms - 266 Israel Hill Road, Shelton, CT, 06484. Phone: 203-929-8425.
- Longview Tree Farm 11 Tunnel Road, Newtown, CT 06470. Phone: 203-426-2701.
- Maple Row Tree Farm - 538 North Park Avenue, Easton, CT 06612. Phone: 203-261-9577.
- Medridge Tree Farm -113 Walnut Tree Hill Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482. Phone: 203-426-9178.
- Paproski's Tree Farm / Castle Hill Farm - Castle Hill Farm, 25 Sugar Lane, Newtown CT 06470. Phone: 203-426-4017.
- Paradise Tree Farm - 224 Lonetown Road, West Redding, CT 06896. Phone: 203-938-2490.
- Sam's Tree Farm - 138 Huntingtown Road, Newtown, CT 06470. Phone: 203-426-2170.
- Silverman's Farm - 451 Sport Hill Road, Easton, CT 06612. Phone: 203-261-3306.
- Snow's Farm - 550 Sport Hill Road, Easton, CT 06612. Phone: 203-261-2020.
- Staib Tree Farm - 49 Walnut Hill Road, Bethel, CT 06801. Phone: 203-748-1610.
Once you've arrived at the farm the fun part begins! Whether you’re looking to have someone else cut down your hand selected tree, or want to spend the day on a sleigh ride and shopping in the gift store you’ll find a farm for every preference. Once you and your family have selected your tree, here are some helpfup tips for keeping it alive and fresh.
1. Before leaving, cut off at least 1/4 inch or more from the base.
2. When bringing your tree home, place the bottom of the tree facing forward to protect the needles from being blown off
3. Store your tree in a cool dry location. Fresh trees dry rapidly in sunlight for long periods of time.
4. Be sure to keep a good amount of cold water in your stand. Water should be checked twice a day to ensure your tree is recieving enough.
5. Many towns offer curbside pickup for recycling after Christmas. If not, return the tree to any farm to be recycled.
For more Christmas tree information visit pickyourownchristmastree.org. Happy picking!